What is microneedling?
Microneedling is collagen induction therapy, well-documented for use in skin rejuvenation, skin tightening and scar remodeling. It is effective treatment for hair restoration and photoaged skin; and improves the appearance of acne scars, stretch marks, and enlarged pores. It can successfully treat and improve severe lines around the eyes and mouth. Small areas of skin damage can be treated without concern for discolorations. Microneedling can improve skin tone and texture erasing sun damage, smooth fine lines, and wrinkles, and thicken and firm the skin.
How does microneedling work?
Microneedling creates tiny micro injuries in the skin which initiates the wound healing cascade. The skin’s self-repair mechanisms induce the release of growth factors and stem cells for skin regeneration, and the synthesis of new collagen and elastin. Collagen is as structural component of skin that provides shape and contours, elastin is what makes the skin firm. Sun damage deteriorates collagen and elastin and contributes to formation of wrinkles, sagging skin and hyperpigmentation.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive approach to renew skin tone and texture, improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and tighten the skin. Microneedling is often combined with topical anti-aging therapies and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to enhance results.
What can microneedling treat?
- Atrophic acne scars. Atrophic acne scars are the depressed scars due to inadequate collagen during healing. They are challenging to treat. Collagen induction helps to fill-in the pitted and sunken acne scars.
- Aging Skin. Microneedling stimulates cell turnover to smooth and correct damaged skin, treats photo-aged skin, pigmentation problems, and reduces the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Loose skin. Synthesis of new collagen and elastin results in tighter, firmer, and healthier skin.
- Stretch marks. When the skin is stretched, collagen production is disrupted, and causes stretch marks. Combining microneedling with PRP can significantly improve the appearance of stretch marks.
- Traumatic and surgical scars. Microneedling can remodel scars repairing scars and reducing their appearance.
- Hair loss (Androgenetic alopecia). This is pattern hair loss that affects men and women. Microneedling combined with PRP has been shown to provide improved regrowth of hair. Microneedling allows the PRP to penetrate the scalp with proteins and growth factors that stimulate natural hair growth. Microneedling can also be combined with medications like Minoxidil for even better effects.
What are the benefits of microneedling?
- It is an office procedure and is well tolerated by patients. Topical numbing cream is applied to keep you comfortable.
- It is safe for all skin types and is suitable for sensitive and thin skin.
- There is little downtime with redness for a day or so.
- Specific scars can be treated with no need to do the entire face or back.
- There is no risk of photosensitivity and minimal to no post treatment hyperpigmentation.
- There is no risk of infection because the small holes made close by themselves immediately after the procedure.
- It can be used in difficult to reach areas like the sides of the nose, around the eyes and on the upper and lower lips that are not suitable for laser resurfacing.
How many treatments will I need?
During your consultation with the board-certified dermatologists at Lucent Dermatology in Beachwood, Ohio your doctor will examine your skin, review your health history, evaluate your concerns, and formulate a plan that addresses your needs and goals.
The number of microneedling treatments depends on your individual condition. Three to four treatments are recommended for mild to moderate acne scarring. Deeper scars may need five treatments. Treatments are usually 4-6 weeks apart.
Microneedling has demonstrated safety and effectiveness for numerous skin conditions, enhances the delivery and efficacy of topical products, with only mild and self-limiting redness and inflammation, and no risk of hyperpigmentation. It is safe for all skin types.
Contact Lucent Dermatology to schedule a consultation. Our dermatologists are experts in cosmetic enhancements, minimally invasive and noninvasive, that can help you regain confidence and improve your appearance.